My Pregnancy

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Surefire ways to start labour

I am not writing this for me; my friend is my inspiration for this one - pregnant and overdue by 5 days.

CAVEAT EMPTOR - I AM NOT IN ANY POSITION TO OFFER PROFESSIONAL ADVICE!!!

I often believe I have a medical degree, but the truth is I heard all these over the pregnancies I have been through.

1. Sex - but only works if you are on the edge of going into labour. And don't wear a condom, it is either the semen or sperm that is supposed to trigger the cervix to change. To be honest, all it did was cause my water to break.. Hey, if it doesn't work, at least you've passed some time in a pleasant way.

2. Nipple stimulation - kind of goes with the first. That is supposed to release oxytocin, which is supposed to start contractions. You are not supposed to do this if you could bear an early child, as much as you may want the pregnancy over, the baby is happiest in the womb until term (38-40 weeks). Then tweak away!!

3. Red raspberry leaf tea - okay, I drank so much of this, I think I turned into a raspberry leaf. Kept me hydrated anyways. On this one, if it doesn't bring on the contractions (which I heard during the second child that it doesn't) it will tone up the uterus, which is good for you anyways. And it tastes pretty plain. Look for it at health food stores or grocery stores, either in the organic / specialty section or with the herb teas. I still have some from Dylan, I'll be pulling it out again.

4. Long walks - Again, didn't work with the first two, but hey, at least you're filling time in a peaceful way. Unless you are walking with other children...

5. Laxatives - someone is going to tell you to take castor oil or laxatives to start it. As with all these old wives tales, they will swear that they work. And they might. But WARNING!!!!! The laxative effect may be passed on to the baby, which means mecomium in the amniotic fluid. Just don't do it. Eat bran or something, but don't do laxatives.

6. This weird thing your doctor does - I think it is called stripping the membranes. Mine did it for both, is very uncomfortable at the time, I'll tell you that. Did I mention that nothing I tried worked for me? However, my sis-in-law Kathy had it done, and went home and had sex (with nipple stimulation I'm sure but I don't want to think about it, my brother, after all) and she had her third two weeks early.

7. Acupuncture - never tried this one, will this time. Press between your thumb and forefinger, in the soft, webby part of the hand.

8. Shiatsu treatment - I already have a day picked out for visiting my shiatsu practicioner. She does a special treatment that is supposed to release the "chi" and can get things rolling. I haven't tried this yet, but as I said, I will. And of course I will let you all know what happens.

Okay, Thane just got home, so take care all. Hope this works for someone. Someone like me!!!

Heidi

4 Comments:

Anonymous Cathy said...

Ha Ha! you are so funny.
Hope you had a good visit with Josh and Finn.
I'll add that nothing worked for me. However my mother has given her brown beans to two different pregnant woman and both had contractions! One gave birth and the other just had mild contractions for a while. They were magic beans.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Thanks Cathy!

We had a good visit, only one thing would have made it better... but I guess someone has to feed Waffles.

What's your mother's recipe for brown beans?

6:45 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Walking is another of the natural ways to start labor that won't hurt the baby at all. It's not easy moving from place to place when you are carrying a full term baby inside of you, but the extra effort to take a walk can be well worth it. It's advisable to take someone along with you. You don't want your water to break or contractions to begin when you're out walking alone. If you have a treadmill at home, that's a perfect option. Just set it to a slow walking pace and hold on to the supports. Walking during pregnancycan also help make the labor process shorter.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 40+3 and I have done most of the things you have listed and NOTHING is working :( I have had 2 sessions of acupuncture to help put baby in correct position if nothing happens by wednesday i am going back for acupuncture induction which is meant to work within about 48 hours

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home